- Current position:
Post-doc at INSA/IRISA Rennes in the team EMSEC, Rennes, France.
cristina (dot) onete (at) gmail (dot) com
- See also:
EMSEC team website
EMSEC on Twitter
RFID Security & Privacy Lounge
Phil Rogaway's essay on The Moral Character of Cryptographic Work
Fingerprint: 3A96 3DDE 1DFA AED8 56EC F828 90B4 4F76 295B 5774
My main research interests lie in the area of provable security, particularly in the areas of key-exchange, authentication (one-sided or mutual), secure channel establishment, and distance-bounding. My thesis, written under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Marc Fischlin was entitled "Security Aspects of Distance-Bounding Protocols", and its main topic was defining a unified framework to model security aspects in distance bounding.My current research focuses on the provable security of real-world protocols, including TLS (link to my paper with Björn etc. from publications), the AKA protocol used in 3G/4G networks, and protocols used in real-world distance-bounding scenarios.
Other research interests include systems of reputation, anonymous credentials, and digital signatures that preserve some degree of privacy/anonymity.
PublicationsPublications in cryptography:
- K. Bhargavan, I. Carlson, P.-A. Fouque, C. Onete, and B. Richard: Content Delivery over TLS: A cryptographic analysis of Keyless SSL. Accepted at EURO S&P 2017.
- S. Alt, P.-A. Fouque, G. Macario-Rat, C. Onete, and B. Richard: A Cryptographic Analysis of UMTS/LTE AKA Protocol. Accepted at ACNS 2016.
- X. Bultel, S. Gambs, D. Gerault, P. Lafourcade, C. Onete, and J.-M. Robert: A Prover-Anonymous and Terrorist-Fraud Resistant Distance Bounding Protocol. WiSec 2016.
- P.-A. Fouque, C. Onete, and B. Richard: Achieving Better Privacy for the 3GPP AKA Protocol. PoPETS 2016.
- M. Kohlweiss, U. Maurer, C. Onete, B. Tackmann, and D. Venturi: TLS 1.3 — Ready or Not?. TRON 1.0, 2016.
- S. Gambs, M.-O. Killijian, C. Lauradoux, C. Onete, M. Roy, and M. Traoré: VSSDB: A Verifiable Secret-Sharing and Distance-Bounding Protocol. Will appear in proceedings of BalkanCryptSec 2015.
- A. Mitrokotsa, C. Onete, S. Vaudenay: Mafia Fraud Attack against the RC Distance-Bounding Protocol. Conference on RFID-Technologies and Applications RFID-TA'12
- C. Fontaine, S. Gambs, J. Lolive, C. Onete: Private Asymmetric Fingerprinting: a Protocol with Optimal Traitor Tracing using Tardos Codes, Accepted to LatinCrypt 2014.
- S. Gambs, C. Onete, and J.M. Robert: Prover Anonymous and Deniable Distance-Bounding Authentication. Proceedings of AsiaCCS 2014, pp. 501-506
- M. Kohlweiss, U. Maurer, C. Onete, B. Tackmann, D. Venturi: (De-)Constructing TLS. Accepted at Indocrypt 2015.
- Ö. Dagdelen, M. Fischlin, T. Gagliardoni, G. A. Marson, A. Mittelbach, and C. Onete: A Cryptographic Analysis of OPACITY. Ext. abstract, ESORICS 2013, pp. 345-362
- A. Mitrokotsa, C. Onete, and S. Vaudenay: Location Leakage in Distance Bounding: Why Location Privacy does not Work.
- M. Fischlin and C. Onete: Terrorism in Distance Bounding: Modeling Terrorist Fraud Resistance. ACNS 2013, pp. 414-431.
- M. Kohlweiss, U. Maurer, C. Onete, B. Tackmann, and D. Venturi: Anonymity-preserving Public-Key Encryption: A Constructive Perspective. Ext. abstract, PETS 2013, pp. 19-39.
- M. Fischlin and C. Onete: Subtle Kinks in Distance-Bounding: an Analysis of Prominent Protocols. WiSec 2013, pp. 195–206.
- J. Hermans, R. Peeters, and C. Onete: Efficient, Secure, Private Distance Bounding without Key Updates. WiSec 2013, pp. 207–218.
- C. Onete: Key Updates for RFID Distance-Bounding Protocols: Achieving Narrow-Destructive Privacy.
- M. Fischlin and C. Onete: RFID Distance-Bounding: What is Wrong and How to Fix it. Accepted to 5th MPICC Interdisciplinary Conference on Current Issues in IT Security, 2012.
- C. Onete and D. Venturi: Security & Indistinguishability in the Presence of Traffic Analysis
- U. Dürholz, M. Fischlin, M. Kasper, and C. Onete: A Formal Approach to Distance-Bounding RFID Protocols. ISC 2011, pp. 47–64.
- M. Fischlin and C. Onete: Relaxed Security Notions for Signatures of Knowledge. ACNS 2011, pp. 309–326.
- C. Brzuska, H. Busch, Ö. Dagdelen, M. Fischlin, M. Franz, S. Katzenbeisser, M. Manulis, C. Onete, A. Peter, B. Poettering, and D. Schröder: Redactable Signatures for Tree-Structured Data: Definitions and Constructions. ACNS 2010, pp. 87–104.
- C.N. Onete and C. Onete: Building Hamiltonian Networks Using the Cycles Laplacian of the Underlying Graph. ISCAS 2015 (Accepted, will appear in proceedings).
- C.N. Onete and C. Onete: Finding ground traces using the laplacian of the meshes of the associated graph. SOCC 2013.
- C.N. Onete and C. Onete: Finding spanning trees and Hamiltonian circuits in an un-oriented graph: an algebraic approach. ECCTD 2011.
- C. Onete and C.N. Onete: A novel condition for Hamiltonicity; constructing Hamiltonian Circuits. EUROCON 2011.
- C.N. Onete and C. Onete: Enumerating all the spanning trees in an un-oriented graph – a Novel approach. SM2ACD 2010.
- C.N. Onete and C. Onete: Indefinite Matrices of Linear Electric Circuits, their Pseudoinverses, and Applications in Related Fields.
Reviewing and organising
- Co-organizer of CrossFyre 2014
- Co-organizer of CrossFyre 2013
- Co-organizer of CrossFyre 2012
- Organizer of CrossFyre 2011 (A workshop for cryptography for young female researchers)
- Organizer of the CIDRE Seminar on Privacy
- CRYPTO: 2009, 2012
- Eurocrypt: 2012, 2013
- Asiacrypt: 2010, 2012, 2013
- PKC: 2011, 2013
- ACNS: 2014
- AsiaCCS: 2014
- SCN: 2010
- CT-RSA: 2010, 2011, 2013
- ProvSec: 2011
- Elsevier Computers and Security (COSE): 2013, 2014
- IEEE Communication Letters: 2013, 2014
- KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems: 2013
- M. Nielsen, I. L. Chang: Quantum Computation and Quantum Information, ISBN 978-1-107-00217-3
- C. Hazay, Y. Lindell: Efficient Secure Two-Party Protocols, ISBN 978-3-642-14303-8
- J. Katz, Y. Lindell: Introduction to Modern Cryptography, ISBN 978-1-584-885-511
- Y. Zhang, P. Kitsos: Security in RFID and Sensor Networks, ISBN: 978-1-4200-6839-9
- D. Henrici: RFID Security and Privacy, ISBN: 978-3-540-79075-4
- P. Cole, D.C. Ranasinghe: Networked RFID Systems and Lightweight Cryptography, ISBN 978-3-540-71640-2
Advanced Cryptography — Provable Security
- CM 1: Introduction to provable security
- CM 2: Idealisations; OTP and PRF
- CM 3: PRPs and PRFs
- CM 4: PKE and Signatures; FDH signatures & the ROM
- CM 5: Pairings, IBE, and their uses
- CM 6: Recap of reductions; The security of complex protocols
Introduction to Security (TD/TP)
- TD 1: Basics of RSA
- TD 2: RSA attacks
- Graded TD
- TD 3: Digital Signatures
- TD 4: Composing Primitives
- TD 5: Commitment Schemes
- TD 6: Mixed exercises
- TD 7: Key Exchange protocols
- Graded TD 2
- TD 8: Review, questions, and exam practice
For solutions, also check:
- Feistel 2
- Feistel 3
- Cryptographic hash functions
- TP 1: Crypto on OpenSSL (I)
- TP 2: Crypto on OpenSSL (II)
- TP 3: Wireshark
- TP 4: Wireshark and TLS/SSL
Advanced Cryptography, Master SIS/MRI
- An introduction to provable security
- Distance-bounding protocols
- Elliptic curve cryptography
- The problems of TLS
- Signatures. Ring and Group Signatures
- Sigma Protocols
- Sanitizable Signatures
- Receiver-Anonymous Encryption
Papers to present
- A. Guellier (from 05/2014)
Master project co-supervision
- Carlos Eduardo Rosar Kos Lassance (from 10/2014): Implementing distance-bounding protocols on smartphones
- S. Capmarti (03/2014 - 07/2014): Relay Attacks on the Mifare Plus card
VET project co-supervision
- G. Gauvrit, J. Guermonprez, S. Piton, J. Sicre: How Secure is your TLS